Bamboo As Reinforcement:
Bamboo is used as construction material in certain area of different countries. Bamboo is also used in reinforcement as an alternative to steel. But is it trustworthy using bamboo in reinforcement? Or is bamboo stronger than steel? Let us discuss below.
Bamboo has great tensile strength (resistance to being pulled apart) than steel and it can withstand compression better than concrete.
Bamboo has an impermeable protective layer on the outside which protects it from rotting due to water or moisture.
Advantages Of bamboo In Reinforcement:
1. Bamboo is extremely strong natural fiber.
2. It has high tensile strength.
3. Due to its hollow structure, it is highly flexible.
4. Lightweight compared to steel.
5. Low cost and environment-friendly.
6. It has great shock absorbing capacity.
Disadvantages Of Bamboo In Reinforcement:
The biggest part which discourages the use of bamboo as reinforcement is its disadvantages.
1. Less durable than steel, cannot be used in permanent structure.
2. Shrinking problems.
3. More prone to environmental degradation and insect attack.
4. Can not be used in cold climate.
5. It does not have longer life compared to steel.
6. Low modulus of elasticity, poor adherence to concrete mix.
7. Due to lower modulus of elasticity, it can crack and deflect more than steel reinforcement.
From my personal experience, I advise you to use high tensile steel for stable and permanent structures.
Any question? let us know in the comments below.