General Design Requirements Of R.C.C Structure:
An efficient design of a reinforced concrete structure requires that the materials be economically selected, proportioned and arranged to carry the required loads without developing stresses which are in excess of the allowable working stresses. Due consideration should be given to the effect of continuity on the distribution of bending moments and shears due to monolithic construction. Correct estimation of all types of loads should be made before taking up the design proper. The design requirements may be summarized into the following steps:
1. To decide suitable arrangement of beams, columns, foundations etc. for the structure on the layout plan.
2. To determine all types of loads and forces to which the structure is likely to be subjected to.
3. To analyze the structure and to calculate, stresses, moments and shears etc. in the members.
4. To work out safe section and area of steel for different members.
5. To provide the calculated area for tensile, compressive, shear or temperature reinforcement in right positions so as to ensure that the stresses remain within permissible limits.
6. To provide sufficient anchorage for all reinforcement, so that the anchorage and bond requirements are fully met.
Liked this article? Then please subscribe to our daily newsletter.