As the name suggest, precast concrete is prepared by casting and curing the concrete in a mold under specific circumstances. The concrete is totally manufactured in a factory by adopting special construction techniques. When the concrete is fully hardened and prepared, it is sent to the final construction site. Precast concrete construction has become very popular in some countries like the USA, UK etc. The advantages and disadvantages of this type of concrete are given below:
Advantages Of Precast Concrete:
1. Precast concrete is produced in a factory with advanced construction techniques.
2. The materials used in precast concrete production are easily obtainable.
3. The construction procedure is very fast, which ultimately saves time.
4. It possesses better thermal insulating characteristics.
5. Precast members are totally fire-proof and sound-proof.
6. Precast members are lightweight and can be transported easily to the job site.
7. Formwork is not required in such construction.
8. If necessary, precast members can be separated and reused in other structure.
9. It is economical.
Disadvantages Of Precast Concrete:
1. It requires careful supervision and more skilled workers for producing the members.
2. Uniform spacing between beams are required in the structure, which can become difficult.
3. Some members are broken up and wasted during the time of transportation from the factory to the construction site.
4. The molds that are used for casting are little costly, so the construction will be economical when a lot of members are produced.